The Country of Marriage

I give you what is unbounded, passing from dark to dark,
containing darkness: a night of rain, an early morning.
I give you the life I have let live for the love of you:
a clump of orange-blooming weeds beside the road,
the young orchard waiting in the snow, our own life
that we have planted in the ground, as I have planted mine in you. I give you my love...

Wendell Berry

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pumpkin this, pumpkin that...

In the spirit of fall... I made 5 loaves of pumpkin bread, and then last night, me and Jesse decided to have waffles for dinner... and of course we ate the waffles in our pjs while watching Jeopardy and an episode of Pushing Daisies. Do you want to know what kind of waffles we had? We had PUMPKIN waffles! With apple cider syrup. I am writing to tell you, it was pretty much amazing. In fact, we plan to make them again on Saturday, that is how in love we are with these waffles!

Would you like the recipe?
I found it on allrecipes.com, but I will repeat it here for you, with some of the changes that we made.

Pumpkin Waffles:
1 cup pumpkin puree
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1/4 cup veg. oil
1/4 cup butter
(mix the above together)

In a separate bowl, mix:
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup brown sugar

Mix the wet mixture and dry mix together. Use your preheated waffle iron, and put the batter in the waffle iron... etc. Yummy! (Just so you know, the pumpkin taste is very subtle)

Apple Cider Syrup:
1 cup apple cider
1/2 tbsp orange juice or 1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tbsp corn starch
t tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp. butter

Mix the cider, orange or lemon juice, sigar, cornstarch, and cinnamon together in a small sauce pan. Cook the mixture over medium heat until it starts to boil. Boil until the syrup begins to thicken. Remove from heat, and stir in the butter until melted. serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment