The Country of Marriage

I give you what is unbounded, passing from dark to dark,
containing darkness: a night of rain, an early morning.
I give you the life I have let live for the love of you:
a clump of orange-blooming weeds beside the road,
the young orchard waiting in the snow, our own life
that we have planted in the ground, as I have planted mine in you. I give you my love...

Wendell Berry

Friday, October 29, 2010

taste of fall

My favorite time to bake is when the leaves are turning colors... it is just slightly chilly outside, and you want something warm and homey to put inside of yourself. Baking pumpkin and apple things of course is only natural. So, today, after going to the market with Dar and buying some apples, I decided to make some bread with them. I decided to make the bread kind of like a cinnamon roll, but with the focus on apples. I highly recommend it, it was so tasty! I kind of made up the recipe, so... some of it wasn't really measured. Its worth the try though!


Ingredients:
1 package Active Dry Yeast
1 cup of warm milk (110 degrees)
5 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
2 room temperature eggs

Filling:
Alot of cinnamon
chunky applesauce
sliced and peeled apples (two apples)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter

1. Mix the milk and the yeast together and let the yeast dissolve in the milk for about 10 minutes. (It should get nice and frothy).

2. Mix the yeast and milk with the rest of the ingredients for the dough (flour, sugar, salt, eggs, butter). You may not need all five cups, so just mix in the flour until you have a nice dough that is not sticky.

3. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover it with a towel, and let it sit someplace warm and cozy for awhile until it gets twice its size. (if it doesn't rise that much don't worry, it will probably still work out ok)

4. While the dough is rising, peel and slice the apples and mix about a half cup of chunky applesauce, melted butter, the brown sugar, and alot of cinnamon (by a lot I mean probably 3 tbsp. or more) I also added a little bit of honey and nutmeg to mine.

5. Take the dough and divide it in two. Roll it out (a rolling pin is a wonderful thing) so that it is the width of your bread pan, and however long you can get it. Spread the cinnamon mixture over the dough and then place the sliced apples over the cinnamon mixture. I then sprinkled cinnamon over that... you want cinnamon to all of the edges. Roll the dough and apples together, and then place in a bread pan.

6. Bake at 300 degrees for about 45 minutes, take it out when it is light brown, or doesn't look doughy any more.

Slice a piece off and enjoy a taste of fall... its great when its warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment