The Country of Marriage

I give you what is unbounded, passing from dark to dark,
containing darkness: a night of rain, an early morning.
I give you the life I have let live for the love of you:
a clump of orange-blooming weeds beside the road,
the young orchard waiting in the snow, our own life
that we have planted in the ground, as I have planted mine in you. I give you my love...

Wendell Berry

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

On the hunt

One of the big things in our life right now, is my hunt for a job. It has been... frustrating... discouraging. I am really thankful for how Jesse has challenged me to trust God's will, and also how he has challenged me to continue looking. In some ways, I was ready to give up after the first interview.

I have my Master's degree in Counseling. I would like to get a job in my field, but that doesn't seem to be the way things are working out. I think I have realized though, what I really want in a job, I really want to work a job that I believe in. I am afraid that I will get a job that I feel like I go to just to put hours in, I am afraid of feeling meaningless.

So what are the factors in getting a job:
- money (lets face it, the most basic reason that people get jobs, a need for money)
- something to do, get out of the house
- skill (does the job utilize your skills, do you have the skills required for the job)
- enjoyment (how many people say that they would like to find a job they enjoy? although, it seems like many end up not enjoying that enjoyable job)
- meaning (like I mentioned, you want to feel like your effort is worth something, meaning depends on the individual, what do they value)
- effort (how much is this job going to drain you)
- environment (are you going to feel comfortable with the environment, get along well with your co-workers, do you get breaks, etc)

These factors I believe also factor into the employers choice of employee:
- money (will they be satisfied with how much it pays?)
-skill (do they have the skill set needed to do the job well? will they excel in this job?)
-enjoyment (will they enjoy their job? or will they constantly be on the look out for greener grass?)
- meaning (will they believe in what the company is doing enough to continue at the company, and to go further in the company? Will they care about the best interest of the company?)
- effort (will they put in the amount of effort needed? or will the company have to put more effort into them to get the work done? will they meet the company half way?)
- environment (will they work well with the employees already in place? will it be a good work environment for them? if they work best with others, will they be around others? if they work best alone, is it a solo job?)

These are my thoughts today, from my experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment