The Country of Marriage

I give you what is unbounded, passing from dark to dark,
containing darkness: a night of rain, an early morning.
I give you the life I have let live for the love of you:
a clump of orange-blooming weeds beside the road,
the young orchard waiting in the snow, our own life
that we have planted in the ground, as I have planted mine in you. I give you my love...

Wendell Berry

Monday, June 4, 2012

Tasty things...

Here is a picture of the baked oatmeal:
It turned out a little custardy... maybe I should have only used one egg. It was good, very filling. Not very sweet, we like to put berries and milk on ours. Next time I might try adding a banana... or using a darker maple syrup (I had used grade B) but I like a stronger maple flavor.
I also made biscotti because we had some friends over. I made it whole wheat and used organic ingredients. Triple Chocolate Biscotti and White Chocolate Lemon Cranberry Biscotti. I'll post the recipes next time.

We did not end up going to Green Dragon Market however, it was raining and there were tornado warnings. Crazy! I was still willing to give it a try...  but Jesse was not. Instead we went to Central Market in Lancaster the next day. I LOVE shopping at the market! The only thing we could not get at market were some chocolate chips for the biscotti.

Random notes: I am so excited that my lavender plant seems to be thriving on our porch! I just love it.


And there is this little Amish boy who lives across the street from us. He is the cutest kid ever! I love to watch him out our window. He is always running around with his dog, either he is following the dog or the dog is following him. You can just tell that this little boy is in his own world, and that his dog is his best friend. Sometimes he explores the creek, or seems to be swordplaying the weeds along the road, but usually, he is chasing his dog and it is the cutest thing!


Tonight, I made Indian food for the kids, Red Lentil Curry, Naan bread, Indian spice chicken, and Mango Lassi. It was so fun, I thought the kids would rebel against this new food, but for the most part they actually liked it. They also knew nothing about India, so it was fun to talk about India, where it is and what the culture is. We looked up pictures online and the girls had a lot of questions about why their lives seem so different from ours. We watched a video on National Geographic about India, which also talked about Hinduism. It was neat to talk to them about God's truths and different religions and to be able to process that a little with them. It was definitely the highlight of my day!




No comments:

Post a Comment